REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are
literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabiesthe most rabies resistant mammal in the world, and the chances of an opossum having it/infecting you or a pet with it is slim to none. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly. Sorry for the false info on the first go around.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
if there were no possums…who would harass my dog??? for some reason…i like these guys.
Vivien Leigh in a Make-Up Still for Gone with the Wind, circa February 1939.
It’s Earth Day!
"City farmers" tend their gardens in the Fenway administered by the Fenway Civic Association. Four hundred twenty-five gardens are tilled on these five acres in metropolitan Boston, 04/1973.
This year’s Earth Day theme is “Green Cities” and the gardeners of Boston’s Fenway Victory Gardens have been at it since 1942! (We wonder if cityofbostonarchives has any other photos from these historic gardens…)
"Kearsage Pinnacles, Kings River Canyon (Proposed as a national park)," California, 1936., ca. 1936
Item from Records of the National Park Service.
Today is Earth Day, so go out and enjoy the beauty around you and help keep it pristine. Ansel Adams, made his mark by becoming a popular photographer known to Americans nationwide. His images have captured American National Parks and their immense mountain ranges, like this one shown above.
I made this, and I actually kind of like it!
i heard about this show at wondercon this weekend, it looks so neat! I would love to see more!!! please share and spread the word everyone!!
Gemy Maalouf 2014 Spring Evening Collection